Saturday, March 22, 2008

Rhubarb Fool

As promised, I'll let you in on the secret of yesterday's dessert. When I came across some forced rhubarb the other day I started craving rhubarb fool. Hmmm, the thought of tangy rhubarb with Soyatoo and something crunchy...

3/4 pounds forced rhubarb
4 tblsp brown sugar

Wash the rhubarb and slice it. Cover with water, add the sugar and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook until tender (approx. 10 minutes). Do not stir. Easy as pie :-) Serves four.


Serve in a nice glass topped with loads and loads of Soyatoo. To turn it into a real rhubarb fool, gently fold the rhubarb pieces into the Soyatoo, but then you need to serve it ASAP, because the Soyatoo melts fast.

So I had rhubarb, Soyatoo, but still needed something crunchy. And sure enough, Susan had a recipe for spicy crunchy biscotti. I went for the gluten-containing version of her recipe, and it turned out delicious. The biscotti's spiciness perfectly complemented the tanginess of the rhubarb and the creaminess of the Soyatoo. My father in law requested seconds and thirds - of the biscotti.

Unfortunately, the Soyatoo melted so fast in the heat of the lamp it was all melted before I got a chance to photograph it with some biscotti on the side. So, if you are still looking for a dessert for Easter Sunday consider this, it was the star of our meal.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhubarb!! I haven't had it in ages.

And oh boy did you use a lot of soyatoo, hehe. =)

J said...

That sounds yummy! And biscotti does too!

I've never had/seen soyatoo, it looks as if it is some sort of whipped topping?

VeganCowGirl said...

Hi Anke,
I too adore rhubarb! It is an excellent desert. I have yet to see any in brussels, but I felt confident that it would show up soon enough when, today, in Antwerp I saw big bunches of rhubarb for sale.

Yummmy!

I was going to ask - do you know a good German online-vegan shop? I am trying to get egg replacer in Europe and I can not find any in the Belgian bio shops I have been going to and a colleague of mine told me to check German bio-online shops. Any thoughts?

Unknown said...

Great photo! That looks delicious. Have a nice Easter.

lmnop said...

wowza! What a treat!

Anonymous said...

i love rhubarb! i hadn't heard of Soyatoo, and now i heard it 3 times this week. i think it's time for me to try!

Billy said...

I love rhubarb! I've never made anything with it myself. I should try sometime.

I've heard about parts of it being poisonous for you?

dreamy said...

Wow! It looks cvery lassy and awesome I could eat it anytime :9

Anke said...

Soyatoo is a vegan whipped cream. I linked to Soyatoo's homepage, but maybe it's not clear that the word is a link? Since they have an American page I guess they sell it in the States somewhere?

Rhubarb contains oxalic acid which gives it this typical flavor (and which leaches calcium) but also lots of calcium, so the balance should be neutral. In Germany, people usually serve rhubarb with dairy products for some extra calcium which is needed when breaking down oxalic acid. The highest concentration of oxalic acid is found in the leaves I guess that's why people don't eat them.

So, it is not exactly a health food, but neither is whipped cream, or sugar, or chocolate, for that matter. But as the Spanish say: Once a year doesn't hurt :-).

Missblueberry: I'll check and get back to you :-)

Vegan_Noodle said...

Mmmm, rhubarb. My hubby loves rhubarb, maybe I should make this for him. So annoying how soyatoo melts so fast.. oh well, at least we have some form of vegan whipped cream! Happy Easter!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I don't think I've ever had rhubarb... but I LOVE Soyatoo (that is, when I can get it out of the container-- it seems to always get stuck on me!).

Unknown said...

nice pics & looking so yummy. I wud eat them once in a DAY.........
Windows Server Monitor
Anti Spam Software

Vaishali said...

Anke, I've always wanted to but never cooked with rhubarb. This seems like a very nice and simple dish to start out with. Your picture's lovely. Also, great new look for your site!

Liz said...

Oh, I can't wait until it's warm enough for my rhubarb to sprout back! Yours looks so beautiful with the Soyatoo! I, too, wish it wouldn't melt so fast. Even when I put it in the fridge it collapses.

Elizabeth said...

Sounds delicious!
Yes, we should all eat less (or no) meat.
We live in Morocco where the fruit and veggies are plentiful and very fresh!

LA Nickers said...

Wow. If you can make rhubarb appetizing . . . hats off to you!


;-)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

beautiful photo as always~

I've never had rhubarb except in a jam... I feel as I've missed out!

and everyone keeps gabbin' about soyatoo... I'll have to find it.

jd said...

Oh my goodness! That picture is so elegant. It looks like something that would be served at a 5-Star restaurant - a vegan one, of course!